[lbo-talk] the Murdochization of the WSJ

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 22 06:01:49 PDT 2008

[via Mike Allen's Politico Playbook - this is not good news - I'm running an interview on Thursday's show with Tony Hendra, editor of a WSJ parody, the premise of which is the Murdochization of the paper - timely, by coincidence]

Time.com broke the media talker du jour: 'Sources at Dow Jones & Company Inc. say that Marcus Brauchli, managing editor of The Wall Street Journal, is submitting a letter of resignation, with his departure to be announced as early as Tuesday morning. The separation is said to be amicable and Brauchli is likely to stay with the company in a yet-to-be-determined capacity. ... Sources say that Brauchli tried to find a middle path between the paper's traditionalists and Murdoch's new vision for the paper.'

Politico's Michael Calderone reports on our media blog: 'A Journal veteran, Brauchli's been regarded as a newsroom favorite, and seen by many as a buffer between the editorial staff and Murdoch. But now that's no longer the case. 'This is a clear sign that it's over-the Dow Jones culture is dead,' said one Journal staffer.'