[lbo-talk] To each according to work

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Tue Apr 22 13:12:29 PDT 2008

>>> John Thornton <
andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Did I say anything about human nature?

My reply was to both you and Charles. Charles did make a claim concerning human nature. I though that was clear but apparently not.

^^^^^ Charles: I didn't say, nor do I think ,anything said below about human nature. I think humans will work without coercion. I do not agree that there have never been human societies without exploitation. I think most of the time of human society's existence have involved non-exploitative systems. Thus, a non-exploitative system is not in conflict with human nature.

"The fact is no society has ever existed that has been free of exploitation and coercion in work relationships but such a society really is within our grasp. I'm not foolish enough to imagine it will happen in my lifetime but it is feasible and claiming it is against "human nature" is not a valid argument. I'm surprised to see anyone even try to make such a case. Appeals to "human nature" are generally a sign

of grasping for straws. The real hooey is imagining coercive work relationships are an inescapable part of "human nature"."

^^^

FYI

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/283737.ctl