[lbo-talk] Stephanie Luce on LN

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 05:49:56 PDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> [I'm sure that Stephanie Luce's profession of some sympathy with
> SEIU's position won't cut any ice in some circles. The "fuck
> democracy" love of toughness is an interesting point. Is Andy Stern
> Jimmy Hoffa with a few more years education and a better suit?]

Free speech? Gee, I thought we weren't high on the necessity of civility on this list. Anyway, it wasn't SEIU that attempted to employ the power of the state to silence its critics. Small difference between that and alleged rude behavior during a panel, I guess . . .

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/23/BAP710A7H6.DTL

Injunction lifted in nurses' dispute with SEIU

Charles Burress, Chronicle Staff Writer

An emergency court order last week against the Service Employees International Union, based on allegations that union members were stalking and harassing organizers of the rival California Nurses Association, was lifted Tuesday after an Alameda County Superior Court commissioner determined that he had issued the order improperly.

Commissioner Jon Rantzman had issued an injunction last week in response to a petition by the Oakland-based nurses union claiming that SEIU agents threatened and harassed its organizers at a meeting and at their homes. The injunction barred SEIU President Andy Stern and members of his union from assaulting, stalking or coming near the other union's organizers.

SEIU, which had not been notified of the pending injunction beforehand, appealed to Rantzman, saying California labor law required giving SEIU a chance to respond before the injunction was issued.

SEIU also said that the nurses union's harassment claims were not true and that it was illegally using the courts to try to stifle SEIU's free speech.

Rantzman on Tuesday agreed to lift the injunction, pending the outcome of SEIU's countermotion claiming that the nurses union's petition for the injunction violated the state's "anti-SLAPP" law, which bars any lawsuit designed to chill free speech.

Linda Lye, an attorney for SEIU, called Tuesday's ruling by Rantzman "a complete vindication." She said that CNA's accusations were false and that SEIU will continue to press its "anti-SLAPP" motion, which could pave the way for SEIU to collect monetary damages. "We want to clear our name," she said.

Chuck Idelson, spokesman for the nurses union, said the injunction succeeded for a week in halting "the unlawful acts of violence, intimidation and threats directed at leaders of the California Nurses Association." He accused SEIU of abusing California labor law to get the injunction lifted.

E-mail Charles Burress at cburress at sfchronicle.com.