[lbo-talk] Playpus? An Invitation.

Benjamin Shepard shepard.ben at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 10:55:09 PDT 2008

The Left is the fermenting factor in even the most hardened mass of the historical present. Even though it is at time weak and invisible, it is nonetheless the dynamite of hope that blasts the dead load of ossified systems, institutions, customs, intellectual habits, and closed doctrines. The Left unites those dispersed and often hidden atoms whose movement is, in the last analysis, what we call progress. -Leszek Kolakowski, The Concept of the Left

We're writing in order anyone on the list to the inaugural meeting of the Platypus New York City Reading Group; you are getting this email because you .Platypus, founded two years ago in Chicago, is a project devoted to the self-education, self-criticism and ultimately the reconstitution of the Marxian Left. We've hosted forums, led discussions groups, and currently publish a monthly review. For our first session, we will discuss Kolakowski's explosive essay on 'The Concept of the Left.

The Date: THIS Sunday the 27th of April

The Time: 5pm

The Place: Verso DUMBO, 20 Jay Street, Brooklyn NY (Directions Below)

The Reading: http://home.comcast.net/~platypus1848/kolakowskileszek_conceptleft1968.pdf

If you are interested in coming, please drop an RSVP email to Shepard.Ben at Gmail.com.

Yours, Ben Shepard, Jeremy Cohan, Michael Yong

DIRECTIONS: Verso is located in DUMBO, Brooklyn, at 20 Jay St., on the 10th floor, #1010. By train, the best option is to take the F to the York St. stop:

You'll exit at York St. & Jay St.; just walk downhill on Jay St., toward the water. Our building will be on the left side of the street.

You can also take the A/C to the High Street - Brooklyn Bridge stop: Exit near intersection of Red Cross Pl. & Cadman Plaza East. Walk north on Cadman Plz E towards Sands St.(Cadman Plaza turns into Washington St.) From Washington, make a right onto Plymouth St., then a left onto Jay St.

By Bike: If you're unfamiliar with Brooklyn or with DUMBO, and you're riding a bike, be sure to figure out a decent route in adavance. DUMBO is an acronym for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass, and it sits beneath both the Manhattan and Brooklyn bridges as well as just off the BQE. So you're going to run into some serious car traffic in a non-grid street plan. The BQE can be circumnavigated, but since it all depends on where you're riding from, I'd recommend consulting a map first to be sure.

Directions:````````````` Platypus New York Co-Organizers.