[lbo-talk] United Front

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Thu Apr 24 15:03:35 PDT 2008

On Thu, April 24, 2008 2:07 pm, John Thornton wrote:

> Nor am
> more enamored with CNA over SEIU but SEIU just shit in the pool of labor
> organizers by their violent actions in this matter. SEIU has many of their
> members outraged over SEIU's actions in this matter. The same cannot be
> said of CNA's members.

Hold on a second. A few people tussling at a demonstration (and I've seen my share) doesn't qualify as violence, or a license to write off SEIU, which is a huge and complex organization with 1.9 million members. Personally, I don't think Labor Notes was the appropriate venue for a picket, but that's not the point. The fact is that CNA *did* expend resources to try to hamstring SEIU's organizing campaign, which is completely unacceptable. This isn't Europe or Canada, where there are decent labor laws. In the US, the bosses have the powers of medieval-era potentates, and corporate campaigns aren't an option, they're a necessity.

We can't afford this infighting. We need CNA's RN-focused campaigns, and we need SEIU's broad-based campaigns to work in tandem, not at cross-purposes.

-- DRR