[lbo-talk] Raw video of LN conference contradicts CNA propaganda

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 20:02:02 PDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 8:44 PM, John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> A wider scope of vision would help here.
> Union busting is stopping ANY attempt at forming a union.
> Stopping a particular union drive in order to buy time to craft a better
> union in the near future is not at all in the same league and has
> nothing of the same rational behind it.
> Labeling CNA's action unionbusting is inaccurate and you know it but for
> partisan reasons you chose not to accept it.

Hi John,

Like I said, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here.

> So my point stands. Just because CNA once made a crappy backroom deal is
> not an excuse for SEIU to do the same.
> That is why contrary to what you write below my analogy is not a poor one.
> Unless you blindly believe CNA wishes to stop the SEIU while never
> coming forth with an alternate plan. That is rather paranoid thinking in
> my opinion.

But this is not my point -- it's not a crappy backroom deal. It's a deal that will let them improve standards for Tenet RNs in TX, help improve patient care for patients at THC hostitals in TX, and hopefully provide a beachhead for organizing other RNs in TX. See the story link below. The pathetic thing is that CNA can't express the same thing about SEIU's campaign in OH.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/DN-NurseUnion_23bus.ART.State.Edition1.46643fc.html

> You only think it's telling when it fits your preconceived notion. When
> the converse is true it feel it is irrelevant.

Come on!

> When I disagree with other union members I don't try to crash their
> meeting and shout them down.
> I am not interested in making unionizing attempts look bad in public eyes.
> Apparently SEIU has no problem doing this in this example.

What CNA did in OH was the exact opposite of a "unionizing attempt."