[lbo-talk] Raw video of LN conference contradicts CNA propaganda

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 26 06:34:05 PDT 2008

DH wrote:

Yeah. You buddy up to CEOs, write flattering op-eds in the WSJ, appear at conferences with them, conjure up ludicrous scenarios of cooperating with private equity firms (whose profits depend on squeezing labor), and talk about how unions can raise profits and share prices. The word "unionbusting" is reserved mainly for rival unions, especially much smaller ones. Bigger rivals are potential "partners."

JG writes:

Within the narrow parameters of the organized labor wars and what they portend for the distributionist class struggle in the US, I agree entirely with Doug, as well as those others who have also rallied against the dumbass, disingenuous hysterics of SEIU mouthpieces.

But really now, in the larger picture of the inexorable collapse (however slow-moving) of the global capitalist disorder, isn't this small beer, so much so as to be trivial? An amalgamation of dollar devaluation/commodities futures speculation/arable land conversion for biofuel production/hydrocarbon feedstocks constraints is condemning millions in peripheral urban slums to incipient starvation and premature death. The once fantastical projections of ecological-economic catastrophists appear to be bearing themselves out -- enough so as to be warranting serious comment, anyway -- and yet the the most energetic thread at lbo-talk involves a myopic pissing match between the CNA and the SEIU. If we want mindless distractions as we sink into deeper and deeper shit, surely the televised personality clashes of US bourgeois electoral politics are far richer entertainment. Jeezus, where is the fucking political imagination! _________________________________________________________________ Back to work after baby–how do you know when you’re ready? http://lifestyle.msn.com/familyandparenting/articleNW.aspx?cp-documentid=5797498&ocid=T067MSN40A0701A