[lbo-talk] Reps take lead on ethanol freeze

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Apr 26 17:18:34 PDT 2008

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Doug Henwood wrote:

> [from Mike Allen's Politco Playbook - an SUV tank full of 100%
> ethanol uses enough corn to feed 450 people for a year]

I wonder how they compute that stat? Since I now know from watching King Corn that nobody can eat the corn we use for ethanol directly. I think the most direct way we can eat it is after it's fed to cattle, chicken or fish -- but then you'd have to divide that number; I think the ratio is something like 7 pounds of corn to one pound of beef.

Still, I suppose if you could get 60 or 70 people fed meat for a year on a the imput of single tankful, that'd be pretty impressive.

Michael