[lbo-talk] Raw video of LN conference contradicts CNA propaganda

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 20:16:33 PDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 8:02 PM, John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> We'll have to agree to disagree here as well. I think the SEIU deal
> isn't very good and I think had SEIU wanted to it could have crafted a
> better deal.
> CNA has crafted better deals as has, to the best of my knowledge, SEIU.

I guess I'm risking the list moderator's ire by continuing to post in a thread he's declared closed -- so this my last post, I promise! But couldn't resist pointing out that you simply have no idea what you're talking about here. A collective bargaining agreement is a different "deal" than a "peace accord," aka an organizing agreement. Neither CNA nor SEIU has divulged the contents of organizing agreements publicly, except to the workers they have covered. So you've got no clue whatsoever what the contents of these agreements are, which renders your evaluation of the SEIU deal in OH absurd. This simple fact of the matter is that the SEIU and CNA organizing agreements with both CHW and Tenet are EXACTLY THE SAME.

My thoughts on the quality of CNA vs. SEIU CBAs, as well as comparing standards set in high density geographies vs. low density geographies, can be found in a previous thread.