[lbo-talk] An Age of Transition

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Sun Apr 27 07:24:16 PDT 2008

At 9:30 AM -0400 27/4/08, Doug Henwood wrote:

>If you phrase it that way, people will just pull their heads in like
>turtles. If you can't tap the optimism that Trotsky talked about -
>convince people that we can triumph over climate change - then you're
>not going to get anywhere. You're not going to get many to sign on to
>the agenda of mutual ruin.

You're right, I'm going to give optimism my best shot.

On the bright side, ecological catastrophe will have its winners. New forms of life will evolve to fill the blank spots. It will be business as usual without humans. In some far distant future, perhaps intelligent life forms will once again, or perhaps for the first time, crop up briefly again, before quickly burning itself out in a blaze of fossil fuel.

Life will go on, in other words. But not as we know it. So cheer up people, its not the end of the world.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas