[lbo-talk] weimar

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 04:52:11 PDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com> wrote:

> everything. The record keeping fanaticism was the routinization of all
> social functions. Political party memberships, places of work, schools
> attended, income, places of residence, religion, family trees---the
> records of these facts defined who and what you were and what your
> function should be in the new rationally ordered state---a state whose
> primary function was to wage war.

Thing is, I think this impulse extended quite a bit before Weimar and Germany. I can't cite any histories, but I'm pretty sure there's a tradition of recording that stretches throughout at least Northern Europe into the 19th century. To Napoleon? Bismark? Even film clubs today issue photo IDs.

-- Andy