[lbo-talk] celebrity, the universal equivalent

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 28 08:30:04 PDT 2008

["It was bit drier over at the Vanity Fair party, hosted at political scribe Christopher Hitchens' stunning abode. There, Barack Obama supporter Kal Penn (best known as Kumar in the 'Harold and Kumar' movies) was spotted schmoozing with Salman Rushdie."

New York Post [Page Six] - April 28, 2008

'HILLS' HUSTLERS GRAB A TABLE

NOBODY expected to see Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt at the White House Correspondents Dinner in Washington, DC, Saturday night, especially after the obnoxious couple (see photo, facing page) were disinvited from MSNBC's table. But they managed to snag a last-minute seat at Fortune magazine's table.

And, of course, the fame-hungry duo from MTV's "The Hills" spent the night snaking their way through the DC after-parties. They hit the Bloomberg LP soirée at the embassy of Costa Rica, which was such a disaster, half the invitees couldn't get in. Colin Firth stood outside in the pouring rain, arguing with apologetic event publicists who denied him entry to the over-capacity party, spies told Page Six. Inside the event, we hear things weren't much better for celebs who did get let in like Rob Lowe, Eric Dane, Aaron Eckhart, BJ Novak, Donatella Versace, Rupert Everett and "Gossip Girl" star Ed Westwick.

One source told Page Six, "The rain was leaking through the roof, and there were buckets on the floor to catch the drops." It was bit drier over at the Vanity Fair party, hosted at political scribe Christopher Hitchens' stunning abode. There, Barack Obama supporter Kal Penn (best known as Kumar in the "Harold and Kumar" movies) was spotted schmoozing with Salman Rushdie.

When Page Six asked if the actor, notorious for smoking marijuana in his films, was going to be the first one to light up a joint, he shockingly insisted, "I don't actually smoke weed." Other just-as- behaved revelers included Katie Couric, Rita Cosby, Charlie Rose, actress Olivia Wilde, Tucker Carlson and actor Eduardo Verástegui.

A less polite crowd was across town at the Newseum, where actress Rosario Dawson hosted Jason Binn's Capitol File magazine after-party. We heard that the event DJ, Fall Out Boy Pete Wentz, kept it classy by shouting, "I just want to thank my girlfriend's vagina!" before he started spinning, referring to his new fiancée, Ashlee Simpson.