[lbo-talk] Doug's case against Naomi Klein

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Apr 28 14:31:46 PDT 2008

I liked your review and didn't think it was ill tempered.

Naomi Klein has a great talent for identifying key issues, but she has a very disappointing follow through.

While terror has been a handmaiden of capitalist "development" it does tend to rear its head during economic crises, deflecting attention from the causes of these crises. In the last thirty years terror has become finely tuned: there are the background domestic manifestations (men and women dying on the sidewalks), secret prisons, suspension of habeas corpus, the slow but inexorable destruction of the safety net....and its outward manifestation -- bombing the brown people.

It's unfortunate that Klein has mishmashed everything because the current task should be to clarify the means and the ends of the current terror campaign.

As for her goal of a kinder, gentler capitalism....what can I say?

joanna

-------------- Original message ---------------------- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>