[lbo-talk] Gallup: Dem race now tied

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Tue Apr 29 09:23:40 PDT 2008

John Thornton wrote:

> The way Obama handled the issue with Wright was first-rate.
> In my opinion Clinton failed to make much of an issue over Wright
> because the voters are less racist than she, and other elites, believe
> they are.
============================= It seems Wright is now the one who is most making an issue of Wright, so Clinton no longer has to remind the media about him. Hard to measure whether the people are ahead of the two parties on this issue. A recent poll showed one in five saying the country wasn't ready for a black President, and this doesn't take into account the Bradley effect. McCain is reportedly confident Obama's association with Wright will be an issue in the campaign. But I hope you're right, and we'll see.

BTW, I don't have a problem as such with Wright defending himself and his church, but I thought Charles Brown, in a post to the Marxmail list, was right on the mark in describing how he could best do so in a way that reinforces rather than retards the political motion in both the black and (young) white communities sparked by Obama's candidacy: http://www.marxmail.org/msg40743.html