[lbo-talk] Gas tax holidays

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 12:48:09 PDT 2008

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/?hpid=topnews

> I wonder whether the same logic that led some of us
> oppose "congestion charges" for motorists would also
> lead to
> supporting this marvelous idea?

[WS:] I did not oppose congestion charges, James&Jordan did. I agree with the washington post analysis that the idea of gas tax holidays is a bunch of crap - it has a populist appeal but it has negligible effect on prices, depletes public treasury, and benefits mainly the oil industry.

I think that a far better idea would be to reduce demand instead of tinkering with prices. For example, by offering fare holidays on public transit, commuter rail and Amtrak, or financial incentives for telecommuting. That would ease the demand on gas and thus bring prices down without providing the windfall for oil companies that already profit tremendously.

I do not think, however, that many politicians would have the guts to offer such a solution - except maybe Obama.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ