[lbo-talk] Nicole Richie endorses Obama

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Tue Apr 29 16:45:47 PDT 2008

At 6:29 PM -0400 29/4/08, shag wrote:

>yeah. but why should bill know about nicole richie (sp? -- yeah, too lazy
>to google or look up the thread :) he's in australia nd we _do_ yammer on
>as if everyone, just everyone has to know who these people are, even if
>they live in maylaysia, australia, the UK, China, wherever.
>
>it's all rather us-centric, you know? wish i could find that hilarious post
>catharine once posted here, mocking that tendency users have to type only
>the last name of a politician, even a local big city mayor, and expect
>everyone to know who the hell guilliani was. or dropping nicknames for
>politicians as if everyone knew who "The Body" was.

Acronyms are the worst thing. Even if I can work out what they mean, I can't automatically deduce the meaning from normal reading, as per the normal process of reading and comprehension. I have to stop and consciously translate the code. Often I just can't be bothered.

There are some acronyms that I have been seeing for years and still have not the faintest idea what they mean.

As for names, Its a quirk of mine that names go in one ear and out the other. I can't remember anyone's name unless I've known them for years. Even then I get them mixed up in speech. You are a particularly challenging character, given your penchant for frequent identity changes. Except for your unique style, you would be completely indistinguishable from the background clutter. What I love about you is that I don't even have to try to remember your name. You treat names with the same disdain as my memory centre does.

My kind of Woman! ;-)

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas