[lbo-talk] [Not sent] Re: What we lose in translation

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 1 08:13:28 PDT 2008

I'm now re-reading Moby Dick for the nth time. Others on my repeat-reread list: War and Peace. Anna Karenina. The Illiad. Dante's Inferno. Various Shakespeare. Milton's Paradise Lost. Donne's shorter poems. Various things by Shelley. The Threepenny Opera, Mother Courage, Galileo, The Threepenny _Novel_, Brecht's poems, some other Brecht. All five novels of Dashiell Hammett, the Continental Op Stories. About half the novels of Raymond Chandler. About half the novels of Dorothy Sayers. Kafka's stories. Just about anything by William Gibson. C.J. Cherryh's older hard sci fi. Lots of stuff by James Lee Burke. Flannery O'Connor's stories. Gravity's Rainbow, V., other Pynchon. Hmm, sort of short on diversity, aren't we? Joyce, though, Ulysses anyway, beautiful stuff. Didn't hook me the way the things I have listed have.