[lbo-talk] BHO too skinny?

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 1 15:14:58 PDT 2008

Marvin Gandall wrote:
> Michael Pollack wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, the WSJ was quoted:
>>
>>> But too much time in the gym can cause problems, as Sen. Obama learned
>>> last month after he made three stops to local Chicago gyms in one day,
>>> for a total of 188 minutes. The marathon workout session sparked a
>>> widely
>>> circulated Associated Press article titled "Obama Becomes a Gym
>>> Rat." In
>>> it, the reporter wrote, "Sometimes it's hard to tell if Barack Obama is
>>> running for president of the United States or Mr. Universe."
>>
>> Oddly the fact that Bush is even more of a gym rat and even more buff
>> has
>> never been a problem.
> Bush is white and anti-intellectual, which neutralizes any populist
> prejudices his backward base harbours towards lean and fit
> college-educated
> "elitists", ie. the liberal bourgeoisie. The obstacle Obama faces is less
> that he's svelte than that he's black.

I feel like it's just an excuse to call attention to the physical body of Obama which is Black. No need to call attention to the physical body of white men since there's nothing of note there. Besides Bush is a rancher remember? Cowboys are supposed to be fit. Imagine how afraid of Obama writers like this would be if he were built like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

John Thornton