[lbo-talk] Stockhausen serves imperialism?

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Aug 1 18:09:17 PDT 2008

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Angelus, I believe you're the one who posted about Cornelius Cardew. In
> the Wikipedia article on him, it says: "In 1974, he published a book
> entitled Stockhausen Serves Imperialism, which denounced, in Maoist
> self-critical style, his own involvement with Stockhausen and the Western
> avant-garde tradition." Any idea how Stockhausen serves imperialism?

Believe it or not, the entire book is on the net:

http://www.ubu.com/historical/cardew/cardew_stockhausen.pdf

The talk by the same name that the book grew out of starts on p. 47.

The answer seems to be S serves I by distracting people from the horrors of Vietnam into thinking there might be some beauty in the world. That Pig!

Michael