[lbo-talk] Marx and Engels: catastrophists

Seth Ackerman sethackerman1 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 1 19:36:40 PDT 2008

I stumbled on this article while trawling JSTOR. I draw no particular conclusions from it, but it reminded me of several threads gone by....

---

Alienation, Communism, and Revolution in the Marx-Engels Briefwechsel Oscar J. Hammen Journal of the History of Ideas, Vol. 33, No. 1 (Jan. - Mar., 1972), pp. 77-100

[pp. 91-92]

Marx and Engels speculated endlessly on the chances of revolution resulting from an endless variety of causes...Above all, they chronically searched the market place for signs of an economic depression, conducive to domestic discontent, internal paralysis, and proletarian unrest. Engels' observations covering the period before 1848 had caused him to conclude that such "crises" followed a cyclical pattern - every 5-7 years - and Marx was equally optimistic regarding the periodic recurrence of depressions. When an era of unprecedented prosperity followed the 1847 crash, it merely guaranteed the appearance of an equally devastating fall that would follow. The "crash" would be "gay" following so much production, Engels wrote.60 Marx simultaneously saw "very pleasing prospects of a commercial crisis" as a distinct endorsement of Engels' prognosis.61 Engels thereafter decided that the stimulus furnished by California's gold was postponing the event into 1852-53. Following such a colossal output of wares, however, the crash would be "beautiful."62 But the expected depression was postponed for several additional years.

The joy was all the greater when an unmistakable crisis did appear in 1856. This time there would be a "day of wrath" as never before, Engels exulted. All of Europe's industry was "kaputt."63 The greater the pressure grew, the greater the wrath of the workers would be.64 The same tonic livened the spirits of Marx. Regardless of his own personal and family distress (a chronic condition over many years), he never felt so "cosy" (sic) since 1849 as in this "outbreak."65 A mood of gay anticipation livened the spirits of both on such occasions. Engels' "dullness" was transformed into "elasticity and bouncing," (sic) as he visited the stock market where his "suddenly elated mood" angered everybody. This time no new California, Australia, or the opening of China were there to give a new stimulus to trade. But, Engels reflected, the pressure first had to become chronic so as to "warm up the masses." Since the long prosperity must have made the masses "damnably lethargic," a delay was necessary so the proletariat would fight with a better connaisance de cause. Otherwise the battle would be harder, more extended, and uncertain. "In 1848, we said, now our time has come, and it came in a certain sense," Engels continued. "This time it will come completely; now it is a life and death matter. My military studies therewith become more practical; I am studying the present organization and basic tactics of the Prussian, Austrian, Bavarian and French armies. Otherwise I only go hunting, that is fox hunting - which is the real school."66

60Engels to Marx, July 30, 1851; ibid., 223-24. The Marx-Engels letters frequently used English words like "crash," "gay," etc. 61Marx to Engels, July 31, 1851; ibid., 224. 62Engels to Marx, Mar. 2, 1852; ibid., 324-25. 63Engels to Marx, Sept. 26, 1856; Briefwechsel, II, 149-51. 64Engels to Marx, Nov. 17, 1856; ibid., 155-57. 65Marx to Engels, Nov. 13, 1857; ibid., 238-39. 66Engels to Marx, Nov. 15, 1857; ibid., 239-43.