[lbo-talk] BHO too skinny?

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 2 01:43:27 PDT 2008

Remember that pic of Obama splashing in the waves?

Here: http://www.catsandbeer.com/uploads/2008/04/sexy_swimming-barack_obama.jpg

That's the pic of the guy "too skinny to be President"!?

Give me a break! I agree with Michael's notion that it's another attempt to make folks focus on Obama's physical attributes (and thus that he's black, a core part of this "scared of Obama" motif the GOP has going), and with Marvin Gandall's assertion that Bush's being white and posturing as a folksy populist (successfully, somehow, Yale male cheerleader pedigree and vacations at Martha's Vineyard be damned) negates any such criticism.

Also, what a pathetic, Idiocracy-like nation it is that would claim someone isn't "fat enough" to be President. Would folks be happy if Obama, like William Howard Taft, probably the US's heaviest President, got stuck in his normal-size bath tub and had to have a huge double king size bath tub installed? (Taft also had to be buried in a piano box, the legend goes.) I doubt it. I think that'd also count against him, somehow. I think a lot of this petty stuff comes from folks who aren't going to vote for him anyway, no matter what he does.

-B.

Michael Pollack wrote:

"Bush is white and anti-intellectual, which neutralizes any populist prejudices his backward base harbours towards lean and fit college-educated 'elitists,' ie. the liberal bourgeoisie. The obstacle Obama faces is less that he's svelte than that he's black."