[lbo-talk] Doug's Jungle World Interview Now Online

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Aug 2 14:00:14 PDT 2008

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008, Doug Henwood wrote:

>> http://jungle-world.com/artikel/2008/31/22333.html
>
> Hmm, did I really say the American ideology was in "deep crisis"?

In context "American ideology" seems to mean something like "American optimism and can-do-ism:"

> http://jungle-world.com/artikel/2008/31/22333.html

<snip>

DOUG: ... The entire right-wing, neoliberal, hypercapitalist strategy has lost its economic strength and appeal and reached its natural limits. McCann is an old man, and he's certainly not the one who's going to breath new life into it. Unfortunately at the moment there isn't a strong left in the US that could create a better economic situation with new ideas.

JUNGLE WORLD'S DORIS AKRAP: In what country is there such a left?

DOUG: I thought it was gathered in Berlin last week cheering Obama? No, seriously, Obama is no leftist. He's serving as a projection screen because in the face of the present economic situation Americans are more discouraged and pessimistic than they've been in over 30 years. The American ideology is in deep crisis.

AKRAP: Do you mean by that that the American dream, the courage to take risks, has been destroyed?

DOUG: Not destroyed, but certainly damaged.

<end excerpt>

Michael