[lbo-talk] DeFazio to USTR: Say No to Chevron's Bullying!

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Mon Aug 4 12:33:34 PDT 2008

I'm sure many of you saw the Newsweek report that Chevron is lobbying USTR to withhold trade preferences from Ecuador, to pressure Ecuador to interfere against a lawsuit brought by peasants in Ecuador seeking redress for the dumping of toxic oil waste in the Amazon. USTR confirmed it was considering Chevron's request.

The attitude of Chevron towards democracy and the rule of law in Ecuador was summed up by a Chevron lobbyist: "We can't let little countries screw around with big companies like this - companies that have made big investments around the world."

Oregon Representative Peter DeFazio has initiated a letter of Representatives to USTR, urging USTR to reject Chevron's request, and to affirm that access to the U.S. market will not be used as leverage to interfere in Ecuador's legal process...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-naiman/defazio-to-ustr-say-no-to_b_116840.html

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/8/4/151823/0987

-- Robert Naiman Just Foreign Policy www.justforeignpolicy.org naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

Ambassador Pickering on Iran Talks and Multinational Enrichment http://youtube.com/watch?v=kGZFrFxVg8A