[lbo-talk] Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn Dies at 89 (NY Times)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 4 16:14:18 PDT 2008

Technically, maybe. But Jews have't been treated as Russian of any sort in Russia/USSR/Russia, maybe ever. Not like the Welsh in the UK. Maybe more like the Irish. (Certainly not like the Scots!) We've been regarded as Yids.

When I have time I will tell you the story about Ryabakov's DiL.

And assimilation has to be both sides. German Jews between the wars thought they were assimilated Germans. The Germans, however, disagreed.

You know the Wessi/Ossi joke from unification, right?

Ossie: Wir sind ein Volk! Wessie: Wir auch!