[lbo-talk] as such

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 22:16:32 PDT 2008

OK folks. Legal language has room for improvement even within the context of the requirements of the professions. But, to start with, much of what looks ugly or clumsy to us is simple technical language, that does not read well in ordinary English because it refers to specific legal meanings.

Also remember ordinary writing has an advantage legal writing does not - the presumption of interpretation in good faith. Any legal document has to be written with the presumption that some asshole, not always another lawyer , will try and find a loophole, a way to interpret it to demand more than was intended and to deliver less in return. You have to find ways of saying things that are tough to distort in this way. One of the methods is use standard phrases that have decades or even centuries of precedent as to how they should be interpreted. There is a reason besides saving work to use legal boilerplate: if a phrase or a clause or whatever has survived actual legal tests, a sensible lawyer will choose it over a better sounding phrase.

And as a non-lawyer who has to deal with contacts, that is exactly what I want a lawyer to do. I'd rather a contract give me exactly the protections I'm looking for than than have the wit and clarity of an opinion by Judge Learned Hand. The same logic applies, I'm sure in criminal law too. Again I'm not saying there is not plenty of room for improvement - some obscure phrases are just habit and poor writing. But fundamentally legal writing is either a sword or a shield. That functionality has to take precedent over clarity and beauty.

(Obviously, in this case, by "legal writing" I refer to actual contracts, writs, briefs, written motions, and other writings either submitted to courts or intended to stand up in court if necessary. Writings ABOUT the law that have no legal force themselves, such as articles in a law journal, are another story.)

Incidentally, saving labor is not an illegitimate goal either. Legal labor is expensive. Wasting it is not beneficial to society as whole, and certainly no kindness to clients.