[lbo-talk] Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn Dies at 89

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 4 23:05:59 PDT 2008

Oh fuck that, James, anti-semitism is rife in the ex-bloc. Even in countries where there are no, or hardly any, Jews, like Poland. It's not a racist thing -- in fact it's not racist at all, since few people think that Slavs are "racially" inclined to anti-semitism. It's a primitive backwards and uncivilized culture. Nikulturny. If you think that's prejudiced, I'm quoting Lenin on the subject, I think he's a big hero of yours. And in fact you admit the widespread antisemitism and contradict yourself when you say that ex-Blocians express casually antisemitic sentiments that, thank God, are no longer permissible here, now that Hitler has given open anti-semitism a bad name. You can look at the polls (that is, surveys), or more entertainingly you can listen to illustrative anecdotes.

My son was playing with his friend, their family, rather Irish looking although the kids are half Polish by descent, has a Polish nanny. (This being Chicago, those are who the nannies are, we had three, four actually, one only lasted a week.) Polish nanny comments to my friend, Joel's friend's mom, Joel is Jewish, isn't he? Ellen bristles. Yes, and? Well, says nanny rather stiffly. He's very nice anyway.

I guess this is is the place for the story about my friend Irena, daughter in law of the well known Soviet-Russian novelist Anatoly Ryabakov. One time closer to the fall we were talking about goings on in the Writer's Union, when they had one, under or near the time of Perestroika, when the slavophiles, conservative opponents of Gorbachev, etc. were attacking the liberals for being Jew-lovers if not out and out yids themselves. Irena told me, without a trace of self-consciousness or self (or other-) awareness, that at one such meeting she stood up and proudly said, I am a RUSSIAN, not a Jew, and I am proud to be a liberal! Her FiL Ryabakov wrote a very good and at the time controversial novel, Heavy Sand, about the Nazi massacre of the Jews at Babi Yar in what was then the Ukrainian SSR. She wasn't being consciously antisemitic. It was just so much in the air that the thought that Jews might be Soviets, much less Russians, and might feel excluded (even

in my case my proxy) and being informed by assumption that they were not and could not be did not occur to her.

I'm not Holocaust wallower and I hate what some Jews have done with the holocaust and parading their victimhood, etc., but I guess a recent trip to Auschwitz left a deeper mark on me that I might have thought. Be that as it may, Ex-bloc and historical Slavic anti-semitism is real, persistent, widespread, pervasive, deep, and hard to uproot, and it's ignorant and dangerous to deny that.