[lbo-talk] Obama: not the anti-Christ, but sorta like Him

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Aug 5 07:43:00 PDT 2008

On Aug 5, 2008, at 9:22 AM, Charles Brown wrote:

> More, from Scott McLemee:
>
> http://www.artsjournal.com/quickstudy/2008/08/verily.html
> ^^^^^
> clip
> "My possible point of dispute is based on a recollection that there is
> another character in this scenario -- a false prophet who works with
> the
> Antichrist (preparing the way for him more or less as John the Baptist
> did for Jesus).
>
> So maybe that's supposed to be Obama's role, rather than that of the
> Beast himself? Either way, it is not good."

Of course these Xtian nuts have no regard for historical fact. But the reality should be pointed out anyway: John was not "preparing the way" for Jesus--he was co-leader with Jesus of the Messianic revolutionary movement that sought to expel the Romans and Herodians and restore the Davidic kingdom. The kingship-structure of the Jews required both a King and a High Priest governing together, and John's role was to be that of High Priest. His arrest and execution (it was John, not Jesus, who was mobilizing the Jewish masses) was what disrupted their plans and forced Jesus into the desperate miracle- seeking adventure in Jerusalem that sealed his fate.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...it consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos