[lbo-talk] Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn Dies at 89

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 5 13:18:05 PDT 2008

Then there's immigrant disease, which involves idealistic attachment to the country of one's choice in a way that blinds one to its faults.

I don't know any Jews, even the the ones who are the most hyper about thsi stuff, are afraid that the the pogromchiki are about to be unleashed in Russia or the Slavic countries. Likewise most blacks in America are not worried anymore about being lynched if they look the wrong way at a white woman. The concern is pervasive prejudice. The fact that pogroms and lynching and been almost entirely wiped out _is_ a major sign of progress in both our backward countries. But I wouldn't say that the end of lynching signifies the end of US racism, nor that the end of programs of Russian and Slavic in general antisemitism.