[lbo-talk] Anti-Semitism in Russia, and Britain

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Aug 5 14:49:54 PDT 2008

On Aug 5, 2008, at 5:02 PM, Charles A. Grimes wrote:

> This thread is one of the most interesting I've read on LBO in a very
> long time. I'll try and keep a lot of it and go back over it.
>
> The dustup between Andy and Chris was silly, and somewhat depressing,
> but it managed to bring to light so much else in its wake.
>
> I have nothing to add, except a personal experience which may or maybe
> to usefull. I am posting it because I want to know if what I am about
> to describe accuratelty characterizes what I see as a difference
> between US and European antisemiticism...

Such differences pale against their common cause: early childhood Christian upbringing. Everyone subjected to this malevolent practise grows up with an imbued image and meme that, combined in the subconscious of their victim, produce the so-difficult-to-extirpate roots of antisemitism. The image: Christ Child/Baby Jesus. The meme: Judas Iscariot/Crucify Him. Inescapably, in the mind of every Christian the first word associated with the phrase "Christ Killers" is going to be "Jews." Anyone who ever as a small child was called a "Christ Killer" by other small children will understand. Papal encyclicals do nothing, or less, to extirpate antisemitism. It will endure at least until, in the immortal words attributed to Voltaire, "the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...it consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos