[lbo-talk] Anti Semitism in East Europe and Russia

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Wed Aug 6 03:46:47 PDT 2008

There is a nice running comparison of this sort in 1491, in the context

of comparing the reputed savagery of indigenous peoples of the Americas

with the civilized Europeans.

If you don't mind my bringing up another continent.

n mbs

You see this stuff way back hundreds of years ago, when the British were ranting about the dark backwardness of the Russians at the same time as they were lopping off people's hands for theft and sticking the heads of criminals on poles along the Thames -- while incidentally the death penalty was almost never practiced in the Russian Empire, Catherine the Great having had an abhorrence for it and Empress Elizabeth actually abolishing it. It is perhaps Western Europe's central recurring ideological theme, and it is a mark of its resiliance that it actually survived Hitlerism, the greatest barbarism of all time.

_____

I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 63226 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter <http://www.download.com/Spamfighter/3000-2382_4-10764780.html> for free now!