[lbo-talk] critique of Bruno Latour

rayrena rayrena at realtime.net
Wed Aug 6 09:33:46 PDT 2008

> does anyone out there know of any interesting criticisms
> of Bruno Latour, especially his idea of the "agency of
> things". (I am tempted to say that this exemplifies the
> "fetishism of commodities", though I believe he has
> already anticipated that line of disagreement.)

I've only read a very little of Latour, but this is not my sense. It's less about fetish than it is about capture: things are allowed their thingness, their subjectivity, but their difference is ultimately subsumed by the democratic horizon.... But again, that's based on very little.

Anyway, haven't read, but these sound like they could be of use:

<http://sss.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/38/2/285>

<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V70-3VTSBDX-3&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=6ddf0116b2460104177259fb99093459>