[lbo-talk] Anti Semitism in East Europe and Russia

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Thu Aug 7 11:47:13 PDT 2008

===================================== Sure, intermarriage is almost always a byproduct of contact, but it's the "acceleration" of the phenomenon, as you say, which counts. In any case, this thread has been about the tortured ethnic relationship between the Jews and their Christian Slav neighbours which has loomed larger on the historical stage than that between the Chuvash and the Tatars. There was very little if any intermarriage between Jews and non-Jews prior to the Russian Revolution, but a great deal of it afterwards. There was a reason Jewish communities were notably "soft on Communism". Doctors' Plots and Slansky trials notwithstanding, the Communist parties denounced antisemitism and recruited heavily among East European Jews, and the USSR alone provided sanctuary to the remnants fleeing the Nazis and their pro-fascist collaboraters, the latter drawn from the same social classes as the old pogromists.