[lbo-talk] Anti Semitism in East Europe and Russia

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 13:56:38 PDT 2008

I should clarify, now that I think of it. If I recall correctly it was illegal for a non-Orthodox person of any faith to marry an Orthodox person without converting. (As I said elsewhere, the Russian Empire really thought more in religious than ethnic terms.) Speaking of Lenin again, I have vague recollections that this was an issue in his family both because his grandfather (greatgrandfather?) was a Jew and his mother (grandmother?) was Lutheran.

However, once conversion took place it was perfectly possible. Moreover, nobody in a village in Ukraine obeys the Imperial law. :)