[lbo-talk] Black Saturday

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Aug 8 10:59:41 PDT 2008

> On Thu Aug 7, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> Cocaine Nights; that's the story. And yes, that's our Ballard: where
> others might only see lazy sun bathers, he perceives the self-assembling
> components of a riot, snapping into place with a precise, sinister
> majesty.

This brings up something I meant to ask you last week, when you kind of poo-pooed novels. Actually what you said was:

<quote>

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20080804/012972.html

It's fun (but wrong!) to stereotype 'world lit' readers. But my bad

mental habits don't stop at the borders of 'lush sensuality'; I think

nearly all novels are useless.

<unquote>

Except I get the impression from posts like today's that you actually read and enjoy novels a lot. So what does it mean to say that you're prejudiced against novels? You don't actually seem to be.

Michael