[lbo-talk] Olympics

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 08:32:25 PDT 2008

Between being a musician's kid and a sometime interpreter, I never look at spectacle like that without thinking about all the behind the scenes moving parts. Sometimes that keeps me from being only wowed by folderol.

These days I see about enough that a view down into The Birds's Nest looks like a blue blob in the middle of the TV, so when the local affiliate switched from color about local connections to actual drumroll about the ceremony, I excused myself from a visit with TV and headed home to look at internet still shots at a distance and magnification where I can actually see details. The main advantage of that is that I got to miss the THREE HOURS of pageantry and capture a few really fun details.

--I LOVE fireworks. I do not care what all they symbolize. I like watching artistic explosions.

--I love the water cube.

--I finally saw enough of the stadium to understand why it's called The Birds Nest. Duh!

--I found myself turning into parade costume critic: the US team's berets: not so much. The Hungarians have really cool hats, but the red stars on fields of white do not hold up well if one has the least little bit of visual fuzz. The Iranian women were wearing PANTS. They wore headscarves and knee-length jackets but they wore pants!

--Fun in its way to see all the African names and faces on European sports teams. Ditto for all the NBA stars waving flags for their various homelands. Pretty constrained internationalism of course, but still....

--In case anyone thought of getting completely swept away, there were also shots of earthquake survivors in slums listening on the radio as well as some dribble about the 40,000 migrant workers kicked out of town after their work was done.

After a quick pass through various stills, I went looking for the live video promised by MSNBC. There was a women's volleyball prelim in progress between Serbia and Kazakhstan that I would have happily watched, but I lost patience about downloading plugins. Anybody else have pet events they are looking for on MSNBC? Anybody else geek enough to want to know what the electronics rooms running all the tech infrastructure look like?

DoreneC Seattle WA