[lbo-talk] Olympics

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 13:13:18 PDT 2008

Doug:

Their sense of superiority is frightening. Ours is just one of those funny quirks you just shrug off.

Yes, but...

It's difficult, I imagine, to avoid a sense of superiority when your coherent history stretches back to the earliest moments of civilized life and when you know that while others were mucking about like proto-apes huddled around Clarke's anomaly, your ancestors were building, destroying and dreaming big. Compared to this long narrative, the Americans - with their unsustainable carrier battle groups, high fructose corn syrup enhanced waistlines and paradoxically homespun style of vainglory -- are only a bad dream.

They'll be gone, soon enough.

And speaking of dreaming...

To me, the most compelling moments of the opening ceremony orbited around the slowly unfurling digital scroll. What a perfectly, awesomely 21st century artifact; simultaneously new beyond description and yet terribly old, used, as it was, to tell a story of romantic nationalism.

Strangely, it reminded me of this:

When I was a boy -- perhaps 12 -- I dreamed that I was brought before the emperor of the world who was, appropriately enough, Chinese.

There he sat on his tensegrity throne. Behind him, a vast, flexible display undulated like a flag in a strong breeze. It showed scenes from the subjugated Earth and other worlds among the stars under the autarch's boot.

It was both terrible and beautiful, as I recall.

.d.

-- "Surrender Dorothy!"

W. Witch, Western Div ...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/