[lbo-talk] Teutonic Russophobia

negative potential fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 10 08:43:07 PDT 2008

I love this headline from the country's best selling newspaper, Bild:

"Russians Are Also Killing Many Women and Children!"

http://www.bild.de/BILD/news/politik/2008/08/09/zwei-fronten-krieg/in-georgien.html

My partner and I are always joking about the fact that Der Spiegel can always be counted on to publish a title story every 4 months about Putin's sinister geo-political ambitions, and I mean *like clockwork*. You can always tell the changing of the seasons by whether or not Der Spiegel has a new story about the Russian menace.

But you still can't beat Bild for crude, Russophobic propaganda.

None of which should imply that this should be taken too seriously. Like the USA, Germany is objectively dependent upon Russian cooperation at the diplomatic level, but at the level of civil society, anti-Russian sentiment is kept on a slow burn, should the flame ever need to be turned up.