[lbo-talk] Marxology question

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 10 14:31:17 PDT 2008

Well, Marx's examples involve single commodities. I agree that Marx formulated no price theory, if he had, he would have had a solution to the transformation problem. I'd like a cite to the passages where Marx indicates he'd go marginalist if he had to create a price theory.

Btw that would be wholly consistent with there being a transformation problem. Marginalist considerations determine real prices, but they bear some relation to values, some sort of proportionality, and specifying that relation is the T-problem.

I also think, and I don't think Shane would disagree, that Marx isn't that interested in formulated a price theory in the sense that the marginalists, Walrasian, and neoclassicals are. The objects of value theory are different: to explain how exploitation is possible, actual, and necessary, the formulate the underlying laws of motion of the capitalist economy in the long term, to provide a framework for a crisis theory (which Marx never definitively worked out).

However as I understand value theory, it does involve, incidentally, a price theory in the sense specified, that is, of showing how the long term movements of prices of commodities fluctuate around and tend to converge upon, because they are proportional in some way, to values. This is a commitment Marx got stuck with when he adopted value as his basic quantity in an economic world of visible prices, of course he was just following classical political economy, but the problem is there even if it's not important to his purposes, it's important to showing that the theory he's constructed can in fact serve his purposes because it doesn't involve a fatal disconnect, a posit of a quantity, value, that has no real world effects, since in the observable economic world what we see are prices.

Btw I certainly hope I didn't suggest that I was urging a static rather than a dynamic interpretation; I guess I thought saying that prices fluctuate around values and ceteris paribus converge converge on them (I should have added that) in the long run indicated a commitment to a dynamic reading. I am puzzled by the people who insist there is no transformation problem when all the people around Marx and Engels seems to have thought that there was, the 2d Int had prize for solving it (created, without protest from Engels, while Engels was still alive); Tugan-Baranowski's attack on Marx for failing to solve it was not treated by any 2 Int Marxist economist I know as a sort of gross and stupid mistake but as a real challenge; Marx himself somewhere -- I am away from my library just now -- notes that there's an issue; Paul Sweezey thought that was a problem that was solved by Bortkewiscz, pardon my butchered Polish, and he's hardly a vulgar economist.

Please note that my point here is interpretive, I am not trotting out an unsolved transformation problem as an objection to value theory, just trying to get Marx's views right, including the theoretical lacunae they leave him with. It's clear that if there is a transformation problem as I described it, B offered a real solution, how useful it it is given its assumptions is another issue.

Shane knows heaps more about thas I do, so I'd like his explanation about where I have gone astray in his opinion, addressing the points I bring up.