[lbo-talk] South Ossetia

Bob Morris bob.morris at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 16:51:39 PDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008, Chris Doss wrote:

> I don't think I got the comment this one is responding to...
>
> But anyway in general I try to eschew that kind of language. People in
> positions of power have normal human motivations. I think few are actually
> brutal sadists. Well, maybe Saakashvili. :)
>
> --- On Sun, 8/10/08, Bob Morris wrote:
>
> > I said both sides were thugs.

My original comment was - "Indeed. Choosing the lesser of two thugs is still choosing a thug."

By "thug", I meant gangster, not sadist. Georgia apparently started it, Russia has hugely over-reacted. Can't see anyone worth supporting here. Your mileage may vary.

A speculation:

In the prelude to the Gulf War, the US passed a message to Saddam that it would do nothing if Iraq invaded Kuwait.

Georgia seems to have miscalculated badly. Did they think US military help was forthcoming?

Just wondering.