[lbo-talk] Oil: Past Its Peak?

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 22:07:43 PDT 2008

Oil is going to $80 - maybe $70.

Oil's peakiness is not the issue at the moment, it's the bursting of the dollar-denominated commodity and currency futures markets.

They were incredibly correlated and incredibly inflated.

from the FT<http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/49b6ff0c-673a-11dd-808f-0000779fd18c.html>
:

"At today's prices the value of oil in the ground exceeds the combined value of all the world's equity and debt markets.

...at current prices the value of oil in the ground is $162,000bn (€107,659bn, £84,401bn) - more than the total value of all equity markets ($52,300bn) plus all debt markets ($67,000bn.)"

Indeed it almost exactly equals the total value of all tradeable financial assets, which the McKinsey Global Institute estimated was $167,000bn at the end of 2006."

The article is making a different point, but what I'm saying is this: oil was radically overvalued relative to modern capital's ability to make it valuable.

Good news: the price is coming down.

Bad news: why the price is coming down.