[lbo-talk] South Ossetia

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 12 09:41:36 PDT 2008

Alright, one other thing. I want to make clear for the record what he said, addressing Ossetians a few hours before blasting a city with heavy artillery:

My dear people, my dear fellow citizens!

I love Ossetians as a President and as a ordinary citizen of this country.

I admire and respect Ossetian history and culture.

Every ethnic Ossetian has been an inseparable part of Georgian history for centuries. We are proud of you and our unity. Georgia is strong for its diversity. Georgia has never been and will never be a mono-ethnic country. Georgia belongs to all of us regardless of our ethnicity.

Let’s take care of our country together. Let’s together avoid the violence. Let’s work together for a better future. Let’s forget everything negative that has happened in the past and let’s together think about our common future.

I would like to address the international community. Nobody should try to present the Georgian government as a supporter of any kind of violence. For so many days, we have been reaching out to our partners—today we have spoken to several world leaders—to help us stop the escalation of violence. We ask that you help us conduct direct negotiations, to guarantee the autonomous status of South Ossetia, and to internationalize the peace process. We also ask for your assistance in holding a more results-oriented dialogue.

We are doing everything to avoid escalation of the violence.

http://www.civil.ge/eng/article.php?id=18934&search=natural%20ally