[lbo-talk] The Israel-Georgia connection

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Tue Aug 12 10:02:44 PDT 2008

I like Abunimah very much, but this article and its melodramatic ending are daft. I know he knows that Israel also has close economic, diplomatic, and cultural ties with Russia. Even military ties, though not nearly to the extent it seems to have with Georgia. Far from being a stooge of the U.S. and throwing in its lot with Georgia, Israel has played and will continue to "play" both sides. There's nothing scary about this, or rather there's nothing *new* and scary about this. It's business as usual.

I suppose Abunimah is alarmed that Israel's relationship with Georgian is purely militaristic. But its ties with Russia are only different in kind, not aim. As Omar Little says, there's not much of a difference between a gun and a briefcase.