[lbo-talk] Putin's Pipeline

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 12 13:18:16 PDT 2008

"War, what is it good for? Neither oil nor gold is the surprising answer. The explosion of the South Ossetian powder keg should have sent crude and gold prices soaring. Instead, both are down 4 per cent since Thursday. This is odd. Gold rises on geopolitical frisson. And Georgia is a transit route for Caspian oil to Europe.

"Why are oil bulls and goldbugs so quiescent? With oil consumption falling in North America and recessionary signals coming from Europe, weak demand trumps geopolitics. Moreover, one of the pipelines crossing Georgia was shut down already and that had failed to support oil prices even before the shooting started..."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/80fcc75a-6805-11dd-8d3b-0000779fd18c.html