[lbo-talk] Lagrangian ?

John Palmer john at sonoracohousing.com
Wed Aug 13 09:57:58 PDT 2008

Les and Jim,

All I "know" about using path integral techniques to price options comes from reading some popular accounts. I read somewhere that the Black-Scholes model did give a sensible way to price options, and that the path integral representation for the solutions to the stochastic differential equation that is at the heart of the model gave some students of particle physics an alternative to "being unemployed in Greenland" (as Vizzini once put it). I suspect that Jim is right about the overkill aspects of this application but it does seem more benign than the "tranches" scheme for slicing up risk in CDO's which also came with some mathematical credentials.

John P.