[lbo-talk] Putin's Pipeline

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 23:30:55 PDT 2008

The entire thesis of the document is that BP was foolish for not realizing that the Russians would steal everything they could by using political power to nationalize any petro-assets they could get their hands on.

This is not news, and of course it confirms my thesis completely.

What is ridiculous is the idea that Vladimir Putin was going to risk what is happening - possible direct conflict with American forces - simply to help a few South Ossetians. It's just absurd. It would be completely irresponsible of him, not to mention out of character.

As in Iraq for America, if oil did not flow through Georgia the Russians would never make this gambit. Add the oil, it all makes sense. Subtract the oil, it's a Kremlin fairytale.