[lbo-talk] Latest crisis shows "days of G7 running the show are over"

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 01:54:41 PDT 2008

While there is some structural change in the use of commodities, of course, this last bit was a bubble.

It's not that slowing growth is going to bring down commodity prices in the way described. It's that when the "global super-growth" and "commodity scarcity" story broke down, the bubble popped.

The commodity scarcity story just does not hold water.

Most importantly, the rise in commodity prices saw incredible correlation among futures markets representing commodities with totally different economics. There won't be a shortage of grains next year if people plant more. In fact, I'll bet there will be an excess of grain next year because people have planted more.

The article makes simplistic, bogus conclusions based on half-truths. China, for example, pegs its currency to the dollar, but regulates the price of petro-products.

Of course peak oil is either happening or going to happen - so what? The peak oil concept - if true - predicts a very slow decline in the amount of oil produced after the peak - not sudden rises of 50-100%.

The exchange-rate stuff is interesting, but the headline stuff is junky.

I would predict that the problem the world will face is DE-flation. Yes, it's true that the developing nations are producing more for each other, independent of the rich nations. But it's also true that their growth has been tied to production for the rich nations. EU and US deflation would and likely will kill that growth, leading to further panic unwindings of the "scarce commodities" bubble trade.