[lbo-talk] Image Restoration via Truthiness: American Media and Russia

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 06:29:20 PDT 2008

boddhi:

You're misstating the problem.

Putin has overstepped, and for crooked reasons that are obvious.

Russia felt provoked. Russia *was* provoked and they have been provoking right back for months. They should have realized how stupid this Administration is and waited for the next one, like everyone else in the world. Putin's invasion for oil into Georgia is folly.

As for the Grad missiles, Putin has no moral ground to stand on on that issue.

He could easily have won the PR war to which you refer, but instead of showing Bush up, he acted like Bush and gave the American media a Bush effigy to burn.

[...]

Ha!

Sorry but no, I'm not "misstating the problem", which, from the POV of my starter post, had little or nothing to do with winning a 'PR war'. The "problem" I was referring to was a general lack of un-faith in American media reports re: actions abroad. A more lasting issue than the crisis of the moment.

Nothing whatsoever to do with Putin or pipelines or any of the Keyboard Stratego stuff you've been talking about (so much!).

Now before I go, let's focus in a bit on something you wrote:

"As for the Grad missiles, Putin has no moral ground to stand on on that issue."

So very odd, that. Because, when I hear about missiles launched against cities and towns, I don't think: 'hmmm, I wonder who has a moral ground to complain about those missiles raining down on civilians?' I imagine what life (and death) would be like under such a barrage.

I also wonder what it would take to stop the assault.

But these are practical concerns; apparently not as riveting as pipelines.

Did I mention BP and pipelines?

Pipelines!

Boddhi, you're a funny guy (or girl...or perhaps bot).

.d.