[lbo-talk] dumbass opinion roundup

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Aug 14 08:12:15 PDT 2008

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Meanwhile, the fever-prone Mike Whitney attributes it all to American
> imperial manipulations:
>
> <http://www.countercurrents.org/whitney120808.htm>.
>
> Well, maybe, but it hasn't worked out too well, has it?

Well, there is a very cynical way to look at it summed in this comment why playing is better than not playing even when it goes wrong. (It was originally buried in a commentary on Matt Yglesias's blog; I saw it because it was flagged by Jonathan Schwartz at A Tiny Revolution).

http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archives/2008/08/the_limits_of_bluster.php#comment-608408

No one blew it. Playing the Great Game (and often losing) is far

superior to not playing. Enabling, stoking, inflating, and simply

declaring national security crises is deeply gratifying for

nationalist-imperialist-authoritarian politicians and their large

and influential intellectual and industrial clique. It

legitimizes the national security state. It makes "Very Serious

People" indulge in their "Very Seriousness".

<end excerpt>

The penultimate line is the most depressing -- creating crises may in fact be good for imperialism.

And the ultimate line applies all too well to your wonderful roundup of dumbass opinion that started this thread off.

Michael