[lbo-talk] "There are gray areas in war"

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Fri Aug 15 14:44:49 PDT 2008

Doug writes:

> On Aug 15, 2008, at 5:22 PM, John Thornton wrote:
>
>> You forgot to mention the oil pipeline Putin wants to grab. According to
>> BS that is what this is all about.
>
> That's included in "Russians bad." And this may be true. But so what? Why
> should I care? Regardless of which parasite owns the pipeline, the oil
> will flow and someone will make money.
================================== The oil and gas pipelines to Turkey will stay under Georgian control. I don't see where this has ever been at issue.

If the Russians, however, wanted to provide a graphic illustration to Europe of how dangerous it would be to extend NATO protection to Georgia - the Europeans had already been resisting American pressure to enroll both Ukraine and Georgia in the alliance - the mercurial Saakashvili handed them a golden opportunity to do so.

Maybe that was the object lesson of the Russian counter-assault.