[lbo-talk] Buchanan spot on the issue of Russia-Georgia

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 17 11:49:40 PDT 2008

In his piece, Pat Buchanan wrote:

"When Moscow pulled the Red Army out of Europe, closed its bases in Cuba, dissolved the evil empire, let the Soviet Union break up into 15 states, and sought friendship and alliance with the United States, what did we do? American carpetbaggers colluded with Muscovite Scalawags to loot the Russian nation."

Ah, again let me plug the 2003 documentary _Power Trip_, about this very thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Trip_(film)

The documentary takes place in Tbilisi and is about the US energy giant AES Corp. privatizing the electric grid. I must say that the Goergian government in the documentary does not come of ass the best example of Jeffersonian representative democracy, but seems ruled by an insular good ol' boys network, steeped in corruption and cronyism. An investigative journalist probing the corruption in the energy ministries is assassinated. The place does not come off as a shining beacon of freedom on a hill, though one feels immensely sorry for the travails of the people there.

And the special features on the DVD, which obviously weren't on the film in the theaters, delve a bit into the Abkhazian wars. In retrospect the documentary is a good, prescient, informative thing to see in light of what's going on in Georgia now. Again, I recommend it.

-B.